Makes 1 loaf
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 x sachet of yeast
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 200g Waitaki Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups of plain flour (plus another ½ cup)
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- Using a frying pan, melt the butter and add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and soy sauce and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the water to a large bowl and dissolve the yeast. Then add the mushroom and onion mix, yoghurt, golden syrup and salt. Mix together.
- Add the plain and wholemeal flour and mix together until a soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
- Tip on to a clean and floured surface and knead for around 8 minutes. Add the extra ½ cup of flour as required.
- Once smooth, put into a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave somewhere warm until the dough doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- Prepare a loaf tin with baking paper and shape the dough into a loaf shape. Place in tin, cover and leave in the same warm place for another 45 minutes.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 25 minutes (once finished you should be able to ‘knock’ on the bread and it will sound hollow).
- Slice, butter and enjoy!